My friend, Vicky.

Vicky and I knew each other from BIS. We were super tight in Year 8 and 9, until she moved to JIS.

I used to sleep over her house a lot, and we used to talk for ages about people. and people. and more people. haha! She taught me how to speak and understand lightning-fast Alabi (yes, it's a secret language thing), but gave up teaching me Pig Latin (I refused to learn more). We used to pass each other notes during classes using our homework books. After realizing that we had written down stuff we shouldn't have written (eg. like that ever-popular list of Top 5 or Top whatever, depending on the number of hot guys you had a crush on at the moment), we'd cello-tape and staple the pages together and vow never to open them in school. haha! :D The worst trouble we both got into was when we got stuck in the mall. Now, being adolescent, foreign girls in Jakarta, this is NOT a good thing. Especially when home was very far away. In a place where you had to make sure you had a ride, our ride did not appear. :p So we called our friend (then), Tim, to come pick us up from the mall, which he did. We walked back to his house and patiently waited for Vicky's parents to come get us and I had to endure listening to a lecture given by her mom to her. :p

Vix is this tiny-assed, thin girl who happens to love sports. If you look at her, you wouldn't make the connection, but the girl is gung-ho. She tried to start a girls' basketball team in BIS (at the time, we didn't have one) and tried to recruit all of us to no avail. She took advantage of JIS' more superior sports program for sure. Now, she does Mixed Martial Arts and has an assortment of bruises. haha :D

When she moved to JIS, she met Neil. See, my Jakarta world is much smaller pa than my Manila world!haha :D After a few years, she moved to Hong Kong with her family and I lost touch with her. So much, in fact, that the violin she lent me is still with me. I did try to return it when she came to visit Jakarta once but she wouldn't take it back. Ayaw na raw nya. haha :D

I found her in Friendster and we've slightly been in touch over the years.

Her current job now takes her to Manila for business trips. So after not seeing each other for years, I've managed to see her here twice in the span of the year. Last night, we were with Neil (and James) too. So much fun! Vix is still that tiny-assed girl, thin as ever, athletic as ever. Neil and I agreed that nothing much had changed with her, except that she now has a thick Singaporean accent where a thick British accent used to be. haha :D

I've never thought I'd see my BIS friends again, really. I used to be able to see some of them if we happen to be in Jakarta together but that has not happened in years. I never thought I'd see Vicky again at all! But hey, I do. I have. So maybe, I'll get to see the others sometime, somewhere too. haha :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arguing from the point of equality and other things