posting something NOT written by me
sometimes i come across pieces of writing that i like. i recently found one, so now i'm posting it on my blog. i gotta admit that when i read this, i missed writing. i seem to write about nothing in particular most of the time. i guess it's because, there's really nothing in particular to say most of the time. maybe, i shouldn't have stopped writing so long ago. ah well, too late. i'll have to be content with writing nothing in particular. :) sad to say, even i can't give this particular author something good to write about. :p
We Have No Soul
A fundamental rule of writing states that redundancy is a no-no. But I can’t help but say it again.
We have no soul.
My generation has no soul.
This generation doesn’t have a soul.
The 70s and 80s were filled with anti-dictatorship sentiments and endless cries for freedom.
Now, there is no unifying thought, no revolutionary idea, nothing that moves people to act. There is nothing worth believing in.
There is nothing to write about.
In fact, it has come to this. It has come to a point where I am writing about nothing.
We turn to heroes of the past, to beliefs that have been fought for, to ideas that already have been thought of, in the hope that we will be inspired, that we will learn something.
We have learned nothing.
It is evident in our so-called “creative” endeavors. Our movies, music, and books all have one or more of the following themes: love, money, fame, sex. All of them the same repackaged, re-titled, recycled telenovela playing over and over again.
This is not a lecture. I am in no position to give such a lecture. I am a part of this generation. I am also guilty for its lack of intellectual stimulation.
This is more of a plea. To anyone out there who has an idea. All the great thinkers can’t be dead. Before they ever thought of anything, brilliant minds such as Plato, Aristotle, and the like were nothing as well.
There’s always the convenient excuse that we don’t have time to think. We can blame it on work or even on the baby that keeps us awake at night. Yeah right. If there is anyone who can show me how to turn his brain off, I’d like to meet him.
The sad truth is the Dark Ages weren’t just some old historical period. This is the Dark Ages.
Again this is not some lecture. I am not some know-it-all on an ego-trip. Nor am I a revolutionary instigating a call-to-arms. I’m just a writer looking for something to write about.
So to whoever’s reading this, give me something to write about.
We Have No Soul
A fundamental rule of writing states that redundancy is a no-no. But I can’t help but say it again.
We have no soul.
My generation has no soul.
This generation doesn’t have a soul.
The 70s and 80s were filled with anti-dictatorship sentiments and endless cries for freedom.
Now, there is no unifying thought, no revolutionary idea, nothing that moves people to act. There is nothing worth believing in.
There is nothing to write about.
In fact, it has come to this. It has come to a point where I am writing about nothing.
We turn to heroes of the past, to beliefs that have been fought for, to ideas that already have been thought of, in the hope that we will be inspired, that we will learn something.
We have learned nothing.
It is evident in our so-called “creative” endeavors. Our movies, music, and books all have one or more of the following themes: love, money, fame, sex. All of them the same repackaged, re-titled, recycled telenovela playing over and over again.
This is not a lecture. I am in no position to give such a lecture. I am a part of this generation. I am also guilty for its lack of intellectual stimulation.
This is more of a plea. To anyone out there who has an idea. All the great thinkers can’t be dead. Before they ever thought of anything, brilliant minds such as Plato, Aristotle, and the like were nothing as well.
There’s always the convenient excuse that we don’t have time to think. We can blame it on work or even on the baby that keeps us awake at night. Yeah right. If there is anyone who can show me how to turn his brain off, I’d like to meet him.
The sad truth is the Dark Ages weren’t just some old historical period. This is the Dark Ages.
Again this is not some lecture. I am not some know-it-all on an ego-trip. Nor am I a revolutionary instigating a call-to-arms. I’m just a writer looking for something to write about.
So to whoever’s reading this, give me something to write about.
Comments
Anyways, I think it is a matter of perspective.
In my opinion, this generation is still doing so. Maybe instead of writing mere words and symbols, it has transformed into something bigger, wilder.
Maybe not reading.
Perhaps visualizing.
After all, this is what the effects of technology are. Fast light. Flash of ideas. We're living in the age where not just the tongue or the mouth can communicate and be the superior medium of communication. But rather the eyes, the ears, the nose, the touch.
Discrepancies are more. Non verbals are becoming more and more important. Sensitivity becomes key to expanding and pushing forth new ideas.
Therefore, visual arts has become widely used. So maybe new ideas are not concentrated in writing but in other places, where it is not in black and white and very much subject to interpretation and personal resonance. The world loves the gray and the complications of life.
The more you take part in finding the meaning of the grayness, the more you'll be able to understand and find the idea.
It really doesn't take a great thinker to say that there is "depth" in this generation. We are our own great thinkers. We just either look too hard to find it, or we're just too lazy to decipher the grayness of life.
In this fast world, we just need to find our balance. And there are people who have. That's why happiness is still an idea that exists.
By the way, it's not about being original. We're all interconnected. And we all stem from one another. Great ideas that still continue to be there from generations to generations are ideas that have been built over time, again and again -- rebuilt, grown, developed.
Otherwise, it becomes extinct. (e.g. Latin)
Otherwise, we won't be here today.
You won't be Kaye and I won't be Jayme.
Then again, I might just be rattling on nonsensically.
in the end, it's just simple lang for me - sometimes there are moments when you think that nothing strikes you anymore.
and it's moments like those that writings like this come about. bouts of frustration by a writer tired, i guess. :) i am currently in a moment like that - i want to write about something different, but nothing comes to mind. it's all random. :)
anyway, there is truth in all your statements, there is no denying that. there is a lot of color in our world, our generation, our life. i guess maybe because we're exposed to so many things we feel that there's nothing new. it's common in this day and age. :)
Nevertheless, I exactly understand what you mean. It's like you've seen everything and have everything. There is really contentment..or perhaps stability that there's nothing else to really dwell on or think about.
Then the restlessness for something more comes along... :)
I suppose what I was saying previously is a complicated way of stating, there's always something more in this life... =P
...but that entirely depends if you look at the water in the glass as half empty or half full.
=P